Saturday, September 11, 2021

Remembering 9-11-2001



Today is the anniversary of 9-11; it is a day for remembering those who were lost, for grieving, and for honoring those who worked so tirelessly to aid those who deeded it. It is NOT a day to point fingers; it is NOT a day to point out that our own government was behind it. It is NOT a day to argue with those who wish to honor and remember and grieve. Don’t like how someone is handling today, so fucking what; shut up, move on, and save your rhetoric for another day.

I remember that day vividly. I was getting ready for work and had the TV on when they broke in with the news. I fell to my knees seeing what was happening in our country that day. Like so many others, I couldn’t stop staring, I couldn’t stop watching; I prayed, I cried, I screamed, I got angry… and then, I got scared. My job at the time was at a large telecommunication’s telemarketing firm (MCI); they closed for the day and consequently were closed for the next few days as well. So I watched and I cried and when the towers fell, my heart broke. Just the week before, I had spoken with a young woman on the phone who worked on the 72nd floor of Tower 2; my thoughts went to her, wondering if she was there; hoping and praying that she wasn’t.

The strangest thing was for three days after; there were no airplanes in the sky. I grew up living a couple of miles from the airport and was used to constantly seeing airplanes and helicopters in the sky, but they weren’t there. I remember seeing how Canada was assisting with Americans who were stuck there because of the airlines being shut down. It was eerie.

The images were horrific, they were raw and they were heartbreaking. There were pictures of firefighters carrying people away from the rubble, and the greatest thing… there was no hate or animosity towards anyone except those responsible. People were helping others in any capacity that they could. We came together as a country for the first time in a very long time. Differences were set aside, hugs were plenty, prayers were going up from all over the world, and other countries grieved with us.

THANK YOU to all who serve, to all who picked up the mantle that day to go above and beyond to help anyone that they could. THANK YOU to those who couldn’t be there to help, but helped in other ways. NEVER forget those who died and NEVER forgive those behind the deed… whoever you believe that is. This is not a post to point fingers because I know who was behind it and they deserve a special place in the seventh circle of Hell for it.

Fast forward to 2012 when news stations were airing yet another tragedy, again on 9-11. This time it was in Benghazi, Libya where we lost four American men: Ambassador Chris Stevens, Information Officer Sean Smith, CIA operatives and Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods. We will never forget them either!

No comments:

Post a Comment